Saturday, October 07, 2017

Who Carries the Cognitive Load in Schools?

I quickly reviewed an article about cognitive load this week and learned that when students carry more of the load with regard to learning, they learn more. This shouldn't surprise any of us.

The challenge here is the depth with which we teach. At the current rate of teaching the standards in many American schools, we don't have time for depth, and without that time for depth, we can't allow students to carry that cognitive load, a carry that increases their academic muscles for good learning and application.

For example, I'm working on a deep unit of study right now. If taught well, the unit will provide students with a substantial and valuable foundation for future learning in multiple disciplines. However, I'm on a tight timeline with regard to expectations. It's way too tight in my opinion, and that's creating some worry.

As I read Emdin's book about culturally proficient teaching this summer, I found myself wanting to add a deep, project-based approach to this unit of study--an approach that would give students substantial cognitive load related to this unit resulting in deep learning as well as an opportunity for me to deeply understand my students. To do this deep study would take an additional 3-4 weeks and I believe those 3-4 weeks of deep study would result in depth that would carry over to all future units with increased investment, engagement, and success with math learning. I would like to be trusted to forward this work as my research and study directs me, yet I work with many and expected to follow the tight timeline.

I'm a fan of loose-tight parameters for study. I'm also a fan of team decision making since I believe that no one has all the answers. Further, I'm a proponent of deep study as I believe one of the issues with distaste of schools and learning in the USA is that our units are often too superficial thus not allowing teachers or students the depth possible. When you go deep, the love of learning is ignited, questions grow, and passion is born.

I'm thinking a lot about these questions. I welcome your insights and ideas.