Monday, October 09, 2017

When Teacher Voice and Choice is Suffocated

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but I like to do a good job and this weekend I invested approximately 30 or so hours into my practice to teach children well. I don't mind investing the time as I am really working hard to meet expectations and also implement new research I read about and know is worthwhile when it comes to promoting a students-first, engaging, and successful teaching/learning program.

Teachers everywhere give considerable extra time and attention to their craft. We joined the profession primarily so that we can do well by children.

What's often heartbreaking to teachers like me is that our investment is not noticed or valued by those that lead us. Many of our leaders would rather we just follow the script than teach or learn, yet our state evaluation systems encourage us to learn, design good units, and teach to children in engaging ways. This contradiction of expectation puts educators who truly care in a tough place and makes us feel like to be a robotic teacher who simply does as he/she is told is more valued than to be an invested professional who applies research, experience, reflection and good thought to his/her craft.

To remain in our positions, we have to do as we're told by countless administrators, coaches, and other leaders. That's part of the agreement we sign when we sign up to teach. We have to continually weather the storms of contradiction when we're told to do one thing, but our research, experience, and expertise tells us to do another. When our voices and choices are snuffed out, it's disconcerting, but it's often the challenge we face as we work to teach well. Onward.