Monday, March 27, 2017

Do It My Way or Don't Do It At All

In some cases, and for some, "It's my way or the highway," which means if you don't like it, leave.

I am not a big fan of this management style as I believe it leaves a lot of good ideas and substantial experience out of the equation. Even when it's difficult, I'm a big fan of inclusive, strategic processes of development. I find that exclusive processes never seem as successful, efficient, or positive as inclusive, strategic process.

Yet, if you want to change those tight, exclusive processes, it will take a lot of collaborative work by you and your colleagues. It takes a lot of advocacy to make change, and you have to be fully committed to that change in order to devote the kind of time and effort needed.

Almost every time I forget about the exclusivity and narrow paths of some areas of the profession and reach out, I get pushed back as if I'm in a windstorm--a sharp reminder that in those areas of think/work, there is no room for me or my ideas unless I follow the strict path set.

I tend to be a more creative individual, not one who chooses narrow paths--I like the expanse or ever changing, flexible, responsive paths the world offers.

So what to do in the narrow sphere?

The best direction I can see is to learn the strict path, meet the parameters, and use my creativity and big think in other areas. To try to engage in what seems like too-tight paths I fear will be suffocating to my nature, but I can follow the strict guidelines and build out from there on my own. That's the best I can see. If you have another idea, let me know.