Sunday, August 23, 2015

How Much Time Do You Spend Playing with New Tools and Resources?

Resource
It's been a while since I simply spent time playing with new tools and resources. Then last night when I made the time to play, I realized that I should be doing this much more often. You learn so much from simply exploring new resources with a playful, open attitude.

This leads me to wonder how much time we spend as colleagues engaged in play and exploration together and individually, and how much time we make for students to play and explore.A too tight to-do list doesn't provide the room for this kind of creative learning.

During some of our initial STEAM times, I'll make time for students to explore the materials available. I'll do a lot of observation at that time to get to know the students and think about the STEAM year ahead. Similarly, as suggested, throughout the year we'll make time for exploration as we learn science with the 5 E's: Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend, and Evaluate.