Monday, June 22, 2015

Practice Collaboration and Community Skills

As I think ahead to next year, I want to solidify those student collaboration and community skills at the start of the year and then revisit regularly throughout the year.  Following Ruth Charney's advice in Teach Children to Care I will spend lots of time upfront practicing the skills that are necessary for a large number of students to learn together harmoniously each day.

This year's class got along great and worked with depth--their performance overall was incredible. The one area I want to finesse is the area of excitement and talking out--I definitely gave them voice, but perhaps could have worked a bit more on listening skills so that everyone's voice was heard especially at important moments.

Teaching is never a perfect science and there's always room for growth and betterment. By listing this goal upfront, I'll be sure to strengthen this area of my craft. Onward.