Monday, May 12, 2014

The Just Right Challenge: TEAM Research #4

I looked out at my young researchers wondering if the challenge was just right or a bit too steep.  There was some avoidance and procrastination going on which you don't see often when the task is well matched with interest, ability, and need.

Yet, reminded of Stager's warning a few years ago that we don't want to be teaching just secretarial skills, I thought about the project's breadth and decided to push on.  Yet, I also offered more help and some new avenues for completion

We want the project focus to be a good learning objective--one with some reach, but not so much reach that children become discouraged.

I'm still thinking about this project's aim, and in the meantime I'll read through the students' work so far to see where I can coach them with greater care.  Let's see where that takes us.