Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Idea Dilemma: How Do You Share?

I believe in transparent idea share if it means that children and educators will benefit.

Yet, I'm getting tired of sharing ideas that are used too often without credit or respect. There are some that freely use other's ideas without any credit or share. It is so demeaning to share again and again, and see your ideas used without credit or acknowledgement, particularly by those who are quick to ridicule and criticize an idea you use when it doesn't work well.

On several occasions this year, in particular, my ideas were ridiculed only to be used later for good effect by the same people who criticized those ideas. Also, I was invited to share my ideas on several occasions with little to no thank you, acknowledgement, or follow-up.  That left me hollow and frustrated.  I like to be part of team, and work together to grow and develop our collective practice, yet I don't like being used.

In business, ideas are often harbored, hidden, and protected as that provides an economic edge for the company. That's not such a bad practice if you're talking about a new chair, tech venue, or food, but when you're talking about the healthy, happy, learning life of children, an idea not shared, is potential and possibility not met. Yet, it seems like those that harbor ideas in schools, gain greater promotion and praise--they manage the message, share, and use their ideas to benefit their professional status first, and children next.

I will continue to freely share my ideas because I think it's important for all educators to put children first in their practice. If an idea can benefit children well, it should be shared, acknowledged, and put into place if possible.

I wonder about the protocols, ethics, and professional responsibility when it comes to idea share in schools. For me, it is my intent to credit an idea source at all times. If I miss, I want you to let me know, as it is an oversight. I am also committed to trying out new ideas without criticism for the idea's designer, but with collaborative critique instead--we all should work to grow our ideas to build strong learning communities in and outside of our schools.

Let me know your thoughts about education idea share, protocols, and ethics?  I don't want to be used and ridiculed, but I do want to share ideas if I think those ideas make a difference.