Thursday, September 19, 2013

Injustice?

Injustice exists big and small, and the truth is that we're all perpetrators of injustice at one time or another, perhaps knowingly and perhaps unknowingly. I've always held the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. close, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter," yet as I grow older, I realize it's more than silence we have to be mindful of.

Speaking up is important, but that's only a first step.  Follow-up steps include the actions you take before, during, and after you speak up--the follow-through.  What does that include?  What process works the best when it comes to truly dealing with injustice?  How does one effectively respond to injustice in order to make change?  These are questions I'll be thinking about as I encounter injustice on a small scale, and as I possibly contribute to it without thought on a large scale with regard to the things I buy, the places I frequent, and the people I vote for.

I'll also think about what is just work, action, and thought?  How does one become mindful of this in his or her work, contribution, and investment?  Big questions with much room for thought, action, and commitment--a deeper path to travel?

If you have authors, prose, links, research, or ideas to support my journey, please let me know.  Thank you.