Friday, January 25, 2013

Wait Time?

I'm waiting.

I'm waiting to find out about the structure, content and tools available for an upcoming professional development session share that I want to contribute to, but need lead time to plan well.

I'm waiting for permission to try out a well-researched gaming software that seems like one of the best inroads to collaborative online inquiry for young children (Atlantis Quest).  I need permission before I'm able to download the software on my school computer, and I don't have my own computer.

I'm waiting to see what people think about an idea I've posed regarding serving students better in math--it may not be the best idea, but no one has responded, and I'm wondering why.  To me the idea seems like a natural next step to a program that's working well, and can even work better.

I'm waiting to read the minutes of many meetings, meetings that impact my work, and meetings where the minutes have not been posted.

I'm waiting for lots of information that has the potential to positively impact my work with children.  I've asked for most of the information more than once, and in some cases I want the information in writing so that I have both a resource and something to share with colleagues who are similarly interested.

Now perhaps I'm impatient. Perhaps I desire to move in directions that are not deemed important right now?  Perhaps information share is not the goal with regard to some of these endeavors?

The waiting, however, is tiresome and leads to conjecture rather than positive energy.  I like to stay ahead of the game.  While I'm implementing and working thoughtfully with students during the day, I like to be planning and researching future endeavor during the evenings.  That flow works well for change, best practice and new ideas.

So, why the wait?

Insights welcome.