Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Grant Denied: Try, Try Again--Zoo/School Partnership

I just read the blog post, You Are Never Too Old to Wonder or Visit a Zoo, and was reminded of a grant proposal I wrote which was denied due to the inclusion of transportation costs.  Marie's blog post reminded me that our grant proposal outlined a project that is a vital next-step for tech integration at school: on-site research, writing and publication.

The Zoo-School partnership grant proposal outlined a program in which fourth graders visit a zoo multiple times to learn about, and act as zoologists as they engage in an investigation of endangered species.  The grant proposed that students bring iPads (or similar tools) to the zoo to research facts, write about observations, photo and video in an effort to learn and educate others about endangered species.  Finally, the grant also proposed that students become part of the endangered species solution by engaging in a stewardship project at the zoo.

To develop this proposal for approval, I'll have to complete the following steps:
  • Contact the tech department with regard to ordering the best tools for on-site investigation and reporting.
  • Continue to research the rationale and information regarding the project specifics.
  • Visit the zoo myself and try the project out on my own--I always find that it's advantageous for a teacher to complete project steps prior to engaging students with the process.
  • Rewrite and resubmit.
In the meantime, if you have any thoughts for me, please let me know. Thanks!


Note: The grant was funded the following year, and the year after that :)