Monday, August 22, 2011

Guiding Mini Posters to Foster Deep Understanding in Literature

I plan to implement the vocabulary and concepts Ellin Oliver Keene presented to teachers at the Wayland Literacy Institute to foster deep understanding of literature.  Keene described a number of "cognitive markers" we can look for, name and develop with students in our efforts to develop deep, broad reading comprehension.  I've created a number of mini posters to guide this work.  I will frame each poster with colored paper and hang it in our classroom conference/gathering place to guide our discussions and reading response work.

Please feel free to print and utilize these posters to guide the work you do with students.  If you see areas for revision or enrichment, please let me know.  Also, if you choose to use the mini posters, please share with me how they worked to guide your reading workshop efforts.